5 Reasons To Train your Sales And Marketing Team
CFO : "What if i train them and then they leave ".
CEO : "What if i don't and they stay".
the above statement is the no .1 reason a company should train their employees on going basis . Any company's sales and marketing team is the pillar on which company stands and the need to train them supersede's all of them. Below are the next top 5 reasons (next to the first one remember 'what if they stay') to train your sales and marketing team .
- Tough and Ever changing Job Skills : I personally believe that 'Sales' is one of the toughest jobs in today's corporate world. The constant pressure to deliver sales and meeting the targets not just drains the employees physically it also leaves no space for skill upgrades.
Marketing on the other hand has been getting tougher with the decline in attention span of people (12 secs in 2000 to 8 secs today ).
Training your employees help them cope with changes and provides them with right tools to handle these tough jobs .
- Reduces cost : "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe" - Abraham Lincoln.
Many a times training is treated as zero-sum game where in company pays for the training and in turn gains nothing .
However , the cost incurred by company is easily recovered in most cases with in a months time by achieving higher productivity.
In case, of Sales and marketing training also helps reduce cost by taking trial and error out of equation .
In Marketing specially trial and error has proven to cost companies dearly . By providing training companies can make sure that team is following best practices which deliver measurable results instead of playing Hit Or Miss with each campaign.
- Be Updated With Tools and features : Recent studies show on average today companies use 16 SaaS(software as a service) apps .
CRM and marketing tools being on top of that list (if you are still not using a CRM in your company read our article on 3 ways CRM can transform your organization and 10 problems which CRM solves for your Business) .
Given the nature of SaaS applications continuous improvement and addition of new features is given . Companies like Zoho and Hubspot are known to add major features every 3 months and keeping up with all those updates can give your company an edge over other businesses .
Training can help your employees learn and use all those cutting edge features better than your competition.
- Hire For attitude : Often times companies tend to hire some one just for the skill set while there is nothing wrong in testing some one for skill set but judging just on skills is not enough. "Attitude " if not more then is surely equally important as skill sets . checking whether the employees attitude matches the companies culture creates an ideal path for long term engagement .
People with right attitude can always pick up skill sets by some amount of training . hence training can ensure that while companies can test for attitude skill are just a training session away.
- Boost Employee Morale and Confidence : Training shows employees that they are valued which in turn creates a supportive work place environment . Added skills are also results in boost in confidence and the interactive and role play session in training helps employees interact with each other .
So to Sum it up training is not Zero-Sum game as seen by many organizations instead it can be a tool that can help the sales and marketing team of an company to stand out and rise above from competition embedding a culture of continuous learning .